"If a Doula was a drug, it would be
unethical not to use it!"
- Dr. John Kennel
For you are the shoreline
We long to return
After a hard season
Not unlike the moment
Of our birth
When wet and shining
Reaching and flailing
Tethered to your warm coast
-- Blaise Allen
Shorter labours. Healthier outcomes.
Research studies have found that when Doulas attend birth:
Mothering the Mother,
by Klaus, Kennel and Klaus 1993
- Labours are shorter
- There are fewer complications
- There is less need for oxytocin to speed labour.
- There are fewer forceps or vacuum extractor deliveries.
- There is less need for pain medication or epidurals.
- There are fewer caesarean deliveries.
- Babies are healthier and they breastfeed more easily.
- Women express greater satisfaction with their birth experience and an enhanced relationship with their partner.
Recipe for a Happy Day
1 cup Friendly Words
2 heaping cups
Pinch of Warm
Dash of Humour
4 heaping tsp. Time and
Measure Words carefully.
Add heaping cups of Understanding.
Use generous amounts of Time and Patience.
Cook on front burner, but keep temperature low, do not boil.
Add generous dash of Humour and a pinch of Warm Personality.
Season to taste with Spice of Life.
Serve daily in individual moulds.